Tuesday 19 May 2009

Carpet Python hangs out!

This fella is a carpet python, approximately 7' long, physically harmless to humans (possibly psychologically harmful to EJ!), but lethal to chickens, small mammals and marsupials, etc. He/She will bite, constrict & crush their prey. They will then dislocate their own jaws & slowly consume their victim. After which they find a cosy safe spot to sleep it off for a few weeks, with the tell tale compacted lump gradually reducing in size as digested.

Hmmmm? Good dinner party talk!

And this fella is currently lazing on our veranda directly above the dining table.

























Beautiful patterns, handy zoom on camera!




Hurrah - Jake & Charlie are here with us in Australia, as are Auntie EJ and Auntie Kerry (Tab's sister and my sister respectively). Here we are enjoying a happy Sunday morning photo opportunity after a rather large brunch on the veranda.

My how Jake's grown! As have my hips, clearly.











And here's the same spot on the veranda two days later with resident python and Milly (helpfully posing in the shot for scale! Watch out Milly!).









Hmmm?

I wonder how EJ will feel about the veranda now.... it WAS her safe haven from all things creepy and scary.... ('scarey' corrected following Tab's helpful comment)

3 comments:

  1. A truly impressive snake, and I think that Jake may have grown preposterously. My infernal internal pedant must point out that 'scary' is how one should spell 'scary', not 'scarey'...sorry ;-)
    What a joy to read and look at yer splandid pictures! I shall become an avid fan of your blog forthwith! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the python should be called Tab x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good God, I'm not sure which size I'm most impressed with.... Snake or Jake?...mmmmmmmm?

    Meanwhile.....look up Millie, look up, love!..its above you! ahhhhhhhhhgggggggggggg!

    ReplyDelete